I’m an impressionable sucker; reading about interesting people’s recommendations will sway me.
Here, be swayed.
- Sublime Text 3 – This editor is solid, these are my settings and packages. I’ve flirted on and off with…
- Visual Studio Code since summer 2017 but I cannot find the right combination of extensions or shortcuts to beat ST3
- When I’m on Windows, I might two time with Notepad++ only because of built-in visual SFTP. It is my throwback to Dreamweaver/Homesite/FrontPage days of live-editing sites like WordPress. Yeah, it’s the future, but I still live edit existing WordPress sites occasionally. Sue me.
- I prefer the front-end. HTML, CSS, Sass, JS, jQuery. Studying React and ES2015/ES6+.
- I forked the Sage theme into Sage Starter as a static project starter, which requires Node.js, NPM, Gulp, and Bower. You’ll see many of my favorite NPM plugins such as BrowserSync and Autoprefixer.
- WordPress is my jam.
Roots is my ideal WordPress dev environment.
_s is my practical starter theme.
Pinnacle is my quick and dirty all-in-one theme.
I primarily use Chrome, secondarily use Firefox and open up Safari, Opera, and Edge as needed. IE11 only for occasional development work. I tried switching to Firefox Quantum (v57) when it was released but found performance issues and occasional things to be desired so I switched back to Chrome.
- Browser add-ons primary (All available for Firefox, many available for Safari and Opera)
- Browser add-ons secondary (I use all of these as well but they aren’t essential)
- Chrome DevTools are #1, Firefox DevTools are #2. Safari and IE11 if needed. Chrome Canary and Firefox Dev Edition are nice to have. Brave is interesting. IE11 if required. Virtualbox to get Windows on macOS.
- Read privacytools.io. Ask me questions if anything confuses you.
- Stop using Google as your primary search engine. Use DuckDuckGo. Bang your way to searx.me when DDG fails or back to Google when necessary.
- Mullvad – Virtual Private Networks are necessary now and I run them everywhere. Mullvad is the best and easiest VPN I’ve used and released as open source software. Payment is in Euro instead of Dollars.
- All photos made with Photoshop and Lightroom, a few with Aurora HDR.
- I’ve been faithful to VLC for more than a decade. It just works.
- belong.io is a Twitter scrape of popular links. More liberal leaning, still interesting
- memeorandum.com and thehill.com for news, left and right
- Less social media, more indieweb.org. It’s time.
Like this? Donate!